Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Heart and Home

This quilt called Heart and Home was started at retreat in the winter of 2008. This was my first time using a Jelly Roll and found that it had some challenges. Did I use the outer point of the pinked edges to measure my 1/4 inch seam or the inner? all my blocks came out about 1/8 to 1/4 inch smaller except for 2 and they were too big! Well the whole thing did not fit together as it should and I put it away in a basket for another time. I have brought it out many times and re-measured and fiddled with it only to get frustrated and return it to the basket. Meanwhile my friend Pam finished one and has started another and her sisters have finished theirs, so what was my problem???
Well last week I decided to take another look. I must have been in the right frame of mind because I made it work! Easy-peasy. I trimmed the blocks that were too big and put in a spacer strip in another spot and it all came together. While working on this quilt I was reminded of how much I loved the fabrics. I used Madeira by Blackbird Designs and the Pattern is from Heart and Home Quilt of the Month by Suzanne Neill.



So here it is.. 2 years in the making!!!And well worth the effort!
So one more UFO out of the closet and ready to quilt. I'm so glad that I have finished this one. I totally remember now what made me want to make this in the first place.

Now I'm starting another Applique quilt from the book Country Inn  from Blackbird Designs. I have block one ready to start.
Stay tuned I will reveal each block as I finish it.
So maybe you will take another look at some abandoned project and give it another chance!!
Have a great weekend!
Kay

2 comments:

  1. Aren't you glad it's done? It's a beautiful quilt. I also made this project and encountered some of the same issues you did. I'm in the process of finishing the binding on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty quilt top! Congratulations on getting it finished. I love the applique quilt you have chosen for your next project...and I really look forward to following your progress on it!

    Doreen

    ReplyDelete